Drop-in tub is one of the most popular bathtub designs adorning modern bathrooms. As the name suggests, a drop-in bathtub is one which is dropped into its designated place. It may be sunk into the bathroom floor, or a platform or deck can be created for placing the bathtub into it. Thus, the bathtub’s outer profile is hidden leaving only the rim of the tub exposed. As the drop-in tub is enclosed from all the four sides, its outer surface is left unfinished. This significantly reduces the cost of the drop-in tub, making it an affordable yet stylish option for bathrooms.
Drop-in tubs are available in a variety of shapes – oval, circular, rectangular and square are common. Also, if you wish to place the tub in your bathroom corner, you can opt for a quadrant drop-in tub. The drop-in bathtub comes in a range of colors. However, color isn’t of much importance here as the tub enclosure inherits the theme of the bathroom interiors. Designers opt for neutral colors like white, cream and black for drop-in tubs. Provision for faucets can be provided on the drop-in tub rim or the floor/deck surface can be utilized for faucets. If the tub adjoins a wall, the faucets can even be extended from the wall. The plumbing system is concealed in case of drop-in bathtubs giving the bathroom interiors a trim finish. The drop-in tub also allows easy cleaning making it a favorite for bathrooms.
As the drop-in tub is integrated with the bathroom, it is difficult to replace it. Also, removing the tub causes damage to the tub as well as the surface which supports it. Hence, treat the drop-in tub as a permanent fixture and opt for the one best suited to your needs. Though replacing a drop-in tub is difficult, you can always renew it using a tub liner
Drop-in tubs are more suited to spacious bathrooms as they require considerable space. A roomy bathroom is just ideal for a drop-in bathtub sunk into the floor. For mid-size bathrooms, opt for a platform to fit in the drop-in bathtub. If space is a limitation, you can create an alcove and place the drop-in tub in the recess.
Pros and cons of drop-in tub
- Drop-in bathtubs are immensely popular amongst interior designers as they can easily blend with the existing décor of the bathroom.
- Drop-in tubs are available in a variety of designs and shapes. So, you can be assured that you will find one which suits your bathroom.
- The plumbing arrangement of the drop-in bathtub is hidden, giving your bathroom a neat look.
- Drop-in bathtubs are usually shallow tubs with only the rim and inner part of the tub exposed. This makes it easy to clean and maintain.
- The platform on which the tub rests allows you to keep bath accessories within easy reach.
- Drop-in tubs are cheaper than other varieties of bathtubs.
- Drop-in tubs are suitable for spacious bathrooms as they consume more space. However, variants of the drop-in tub like corner tub and alcove tub can be fitted in space-constrained bathrooms. It is also easy to provide an enclosure to alcove/corner tubs segregating the tub from the rest of the bathroom.
- A drop-in tub built into the floor or platform allows you to just place your feet in warm water and relax.
- The drop-in tub is a built-in bathroom fixture. This makes it difficult to replace or move. So, keep long-term horizon in mind while choosing a drop-in tub.
- Drop-in tub can be easily renewed using a tub liner.
- The installation of drop-in bathtubs is cumbersome and takes more time than freestanding tubs.