Juliet balcony is a very shallow or non-protruding balcony provided on the upper floor of a building. It derives its name from the famous balcony scene of the legendary Shakespearean play “Romeo and Juliet”. The Juliet balcony can be considered as an exterior door on the upper floor restricted by a railing for safety. The doors preferred for Juliet balcony are French windows/doors or Glazed doors. This ensures that maximum natural light is admitted into the interior space. Also, these doors provide outside view bringing the interiors close to nature. If the room with the Juliet balcony is space constrained, a glazed sliding door can be provided to save space. An important element of this balcony is its railing. The Juliet balcony railing is so chosen that it allows light and air into the house, and also stands out as a tough and durable railing material. Steel is the preferred material used for Juliet balcony railings. Glass is another material which is being used for Juliet balconies. Glass allows more light into the interior spaces and also adds to the aesthetics of the building façade.
Advantages of Juliet Balcony
- Juliet balcony is a close alternative to a full-fledged balcony in spaces where their construction is not feasible due to byelaw restrictions or other reasons.
- It acts as an aesthetic element for both the interior space and exterior façade.
- A room with a Juliet balcony appears spacious and airy.
- It brings in natural light and air to the interior spaces.
- It also adds an element of nature to the interior spaces by providing view of the surrounding landscape.
- It can be decorated with planters and pots to add the tinge of greens to your home.