The world is expanding vertically and its impact is felt most in the housing sector. Row houses are giving way to high rise apartments, and more people are drawn towards this trend; primarily due to monetary constraints. But even in the midst of tall glass façade skyscrapers and concrete jungles, people demand to be close to nature. This wish of nature lovers can be fulfilled; thanks to the concept of terrace gardens.
A terrace is an outdoor space which is part of the upper floors of a building. The terrace is not an overhanging structure like the balcony, i.e. it is an open space built above indoor spaces of the floor below. Also, it is usually larger than a balcony and is open to sky. A terrace garden, as the name suggests, is a garden on the terrace.
The soaring land prices are compelling people to opt for apartments. This leaves little scope to dream of sprawling lawns, or a kitchen garden, pool etc. But you can always have a private green space to rejoice. A terrace garden provides you exactly that. All you need is an apartment with a terrace, or even a decent size balcony would suffice. Many apartments offer private terraces nowadays. Yes, you would have to shell out some extra bucks; but the bargain is definitely in your favor.
A landmark example of a housing complex with each unit having a terrace garden is the renowned Habitat 67 by architect Moshe Safdie. This brutalist style apartment complex designed way back in 1967 stands as a perfect prototype of how modern housing facilities should be conceptualized. Another noteworthy example is the Kanchanjunga apartments in Mumbai designed by Charles Correa. Correa provided a double height terrace garden to each residential unit of the apartment. The terrace gardens also act as passive cooling elements for the houses.
Benefits of Terrace Garden
- Terrace garden enables you to connect to nature, even when you are miles above mother earth.
- Terrace garden adds a natural nook to the house.
- Terrace garden serves as a cozy space to enjoy an evening tea with your family or a late night drink with friends.
- Terrace garden can be a playful area for your kids. You can equip the garden with a swing to add to its attraction.
- Terrace garden enhances the aesthetics of the house. The terrace garden provides a soothing view to the spaces overlooking it.
- The terrace garden greatly improves the exterior look of the house.
- Terrace garden is also used as a passive cooling element for buildings.
- A terrace garden acts as an asset to the property and significantly increases its value.