U-shaped kitchen is regarded as one of the most efficient kitchen layouts. This layout has a lot to offer in terms of functionality and convenience. This kitchen layout derives numerous benefits from its shape. In fact, the U-shaped layout is answer to a majority of design challenges faced while planning the kitchen.
Why U-shaped Kitchen?
- The foremost advantage of using this layout is the ease with which the work triangle can be established in this kitchen. As the name suggests, this layout has a u-shaped counter distributed along three adjoining walls of the kitchen. These three counter segments can each accommodate the three work zones-cooking, washing/preparation, storage-of the kitchen. The hob should preferably be given the central location, with the sink and refrigerator on the two legs of the layout.
- Though the work zones are segregated in the U-shaped kitchen, they are brought closer to each other due to the shape of the layout. This makes working in a U-shaped kitchen comfortable and less tiresome.
- The shape of the kitchen also facilitates the use of kitchen by more than one person at the same time.
- The U-shape ensures that the kitchen space is segregated from the other areas of the house and is free from traffic and any interference.
- This layout is apt for open kitchens. In open layouts, one of the counter legs of the kitchen can be used as a peninsula. A split level counter can be introduced in the peninsula to utilize it as a breakfast counter.
- The U-shaped kitchen is also suited to large sized kitchens. Though the counters become widely spaced, a kitchen island can be introduced to accommodate one of the work zones of the kitchen.